On the off-chance that I have any readers who don’t already know this, the official Dota 2 blog confirmed that the “next major update will add a ranked matchmaking feature to the game.” As for the listed specifics:
- Ranked matchmaking is unlocked after approximately 150 games.
- All players in the party must have unlocked the mode.
- Currently, only All Pick, Captains Mode, and Captains Draft are available.
- You may not participate in ranked matchmaking while in the low priority pool.
- Coaches are not allowed in ranked matchmaking.
- Matches played in normal matchmaking do not impact your ranked matchmaking MMR, and vice versa.
- Your ranked MMR is visible only to you and your friends. The MMR used for normal matchmaking is not visible.
- When you first start using ranked matchmaking, you will enter a calibration phase of 10 games. During this time, your ranked MMR will not be visible.
Nothing too surprising. I have some concerns about having no group limitations, but if they think they can pull it off we’ll see how it goes. It’s an interesting revelation that team and solo have different MMRs, but I wonder if that specifically refers to the “solo queue only” opt-in option in current matchmaking.
My biggest potential complaint are the modes. It’s a good thing they’re limited to avoid splitting the pool, but it’s disappointing to have All Pick and then two modes where you have to trust a captain to draft in an environment where people are likely to complain about “MY MMR.” I’d feel better about it if CD were more like RD as a middle ground with both pick phases and individual picks, but oh well.